I was given this recipe a long time ago from a friend and with the abundance of
apples I have, I thought I would try it out again. I think it is a good brunch recipe. It is not too sweet and the cornmeal definitely gives it its own texture which got mixed review from my crowd. I love the idea of this recipe and will definitely play with it in the future to give it a more smooth, cake-like texture as I think that would go better overall with the balance of savory and sweet. Having said that, I think the recipe stands alone just fine, I would just be tweaking it for my own personal taste. I do love the combination of apples and sausage though – definitely high on the yum factor scale! If you are looking for a good holiday recipe or simply went apple picking and find yourself saying, “What am I going to do with all these apples?” you might want to give this one a try!
FLIPPED SAUSAGE AND APPLE CORNBREAD
1/2 lb. Sausage Links (pork or turkey is fine)
4 TBS Butter
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Small Apples (of your choice) – peeled, cored and sliced
1 Cup of Flour
3/4 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
3 TBS Brown Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
4 TBS Melted Butter
1 Cup Milk
1. Grease 9 inch round cake pan and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown sausage in skillet over medium heat, remove from pan once done, leaving about 1-2 TBS drippings in skillet. Cut links into small pieces and set aside.
3. Add butter and brown sugar and stir until sugar melts.
4. Add apples and saute until soft, about 10-12 minutes.
5. Add sausage pieces and apples slices in a single layer to prepared baking pan and pour skillet juices over the top evenly.
6. Let apple-sausage mixture sit until room temperature while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
7. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
8. Add egg, melted butter and milk and stir until well combined.
9. Pour batter over apple sausage mixture, smoothing out to cover entire pan.
10. Bake for 25 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and immediately invert onto serving dish.