We are all about finger food around here and if any sort of dip is included, it’s a double whammy. This recipe fit that bill, 100%.
These particular taquitos I made using some leftover grilled pork that I had chopped up. I’m sure beef or chicken would work great in these as well if you are not a fan of the pig (gasp!) I baked these in flour tortillas to keep it a little healthier (rather than frying the corn tortillas in oil.)
We really enjoyed this avocado dipping sauce, it was creamy deliciousness. We have had variations of this at restaurants all over and always enjoyed it so I thought it would be a great dip to go with the taquitos. It’s not the sort of dip that can sit around so I would make it when you want to eat it. If you are so inclined, a nice salsa would also make a great dip for these taquitos.
This was very kid-friendly as well. Both my boys ate the taquitos. Foodie Jr. opted to dip his in ranch dressing as he does most other finger foods. Baby Foodie is not much of a dipper so he just ate the taquitos. And, as suspected, the biggest kid of them all, Mr. Foodie had no complaints.
1 package fajita sized flour tortillas (16)
2 Cups leftover meat (pork, chicken or beef)
~1/4 Cup Mexican Crema
~1/3 Cup Finely grated Cojita Cheese
1 avocado, pitted and mashed
1/4 Cup Mexican Crema
1/4 Mayonaise (I prefer the one with olive oil)
Splash of milk
2 Tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Onion powder
1/4 Tsp Garlic powder
To taste: black pepper and chopped cilantro
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
1. I a mixing bowl, add chopped meat, Crema and Cojita cheese and mix well. Add more Crema and cheese if necessary – meat mixture should come together and be sort of ‘sticky’.
2. Place a heaping tablespoon or two on each tortilla and spread into a line for rolling.
3. Roll up each tortilla and place seam
side down on cookie sheet.
4. Brush each taquito with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Ovens will vary so check and take out when tortillas are browned and crispy.
For Dipping Sauce:
1. Put all ingredients in bowl and mix until they all come together smoothly. There will be a light green tint to the sauce. Play with the spices to suit your family’s taste.