I’m baaaaaack! I took a little hiatus from blogging (but not from cooking) as this new year has started off as quite a doozy! I’m hoping that the Foodie Family has a nice, peaceful remainder of 2012 – and hope I didn’t just jinx us by putting that in print!
Now, onto the matter at hand… I made this recipe on Baby Foodie’s first birthday as he is a BIG FAN of the French Fry. I stumbled upon a spice store on one of our little adventures and among the wonderful booty I came away with was Black Truffle Salt. Oh. Em. Gee. (Can I actually write that on a food blog?) Anyway, I just love this stuff. The Salt. The Truffle. The Togetherness. It was love at first taste (sniff, really.) Perfecting a crunchy oven-baked french fry has been on my to do list for a while. I’ve played with this a lot in the past and have come up just sort of shrugging my shoulders – just okay. Crispy, but not crispy enough. I knew I had to get it right to use some of my truffle salt goodness on them. And, I finally did!
Mr. Foodie really liked these and requested them again. And again. Foodie, Jr. was not interested in them as they did not come in a little red paper container with golden arches on them. Baby Foodie was all over them and was a very happy ONE YEAR OLD!
BLACK TRUFFLE OVEN CRISP FRIES
1 Ib. Russet Potatoes, peeled
1-2 TBS Vegetable Oil
Cooking Spray, such as Pam
Black Truffle Infused Salt, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (ovens may vary, so you may want to play with the temp.)
2. Slice potatoes lengthwise, making thin strips.
3. In a bowl, toss the potatoes with the oil, be sure to coat well
4. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and spread potatoes out in a single layer.
5. Bake the fries for 15 minutes, then toss.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes more, until you reach your desired crispness.
7. Remove fries from oven and immediately sprinkle with Black Truffle Salt to taste.